Hill Center aims to broaden the horizons of all who enter by providing high-quality arts, education and cultural programs and other opportunities to engage more fully in the life of our city. With partner organizations and also on our own, we offer classes and courses for people of all ages and backgrounds, along with space for meetings, lectures, performances, gallery exhibitions and other events. While preserving the Old Naval Hospital’s historic fabric, we will keep the Center vital, relevant and financially self-sustaining for generations to come.
M–Th: 8am – 8pm
F: 8am – 6pm
Sa: 9am – 5pm
Su: 10am – 5 pm
Please note hours are general guidelines and subject to change for special events and programming. Hill Center Galleries are open during our regular business hours.
There are occasional closings for special events. Call (202) 549-4172 to confirm availability.
Directions & Parking
921 Pennsylvania Avenue SE
Washington, DC 20003
The main visitors entrance is just off 9th Street, SE under the black awning.
Hill Center is 2 blocks east of the Eastern Market Metro stop on the Blue, Orange, and Silver lines.
Hill Center does not have a public parking lot. Parking without residential restrictions is available at meters on Pennsylvania Avenue, SE in front of the building. Street parking is limited and specified for Zone 6 permits. Vehicles without Zone 6 permits may not park for longer than two hours at green parking signs, and only vehicles with Zone 6 permits may park at red parking signs. Please read all signs carefully.
Long-term pay parking is available under the bridge at 8 th and I Streets, SE, and weekend parking is available at the Tyler Elementary School lot on 10th Street , SE between G and H Streets, SE after 4 p.m. on weekdays during the school year or at all times on weekends or during summer break.
Reception Desk Aide
Volunteers staff the front desk at Hill Center, greeting visitors, answering phones, registering guests for events and handling inquiries.
Docents will work at Hill Center, conducting tours of the Old Naval Hospital building, the Grounds, and the Carriage House on a regular schedule. Hill Center docents will undergo a training program that will provide detailed information about the history and the major concepts and goals of Hill Center.
Community Events Assistant
Volunteers will assist at select community events to hand out information, encourage participation by the community in the activities of Hill Center, recruit volunteers, discuss fundraising and answer other questions about Hill Center.
These volunteers will assist the Facilities Manager and the landscaping company with the planting, clean-up and the general upkeep of the Hill Center gardens.
Special Events Aide
Volunteers will be needed to help and provide back up to Hill Center staff during public, private and community events.
Assistance is needed hanging up posters and dropping off other promotional materials throughout the neighborhood and DC area.
For those volunteers who may not want to work with the public, various behind-the-scenes activities are available such as helping with mailings, data entry and other office tasks, writing text for brochures and other publicity and communications vehicles, researching new activities and assisting with the development of workshops and classes.
Part-Time Operations Assistant
The Old Naval Hospital Foundation is seeking a dynamic individual to provide part-time evening and weekend support (20 – 25 hours per week) to the special events, programming and marketing teams at Hill Center at the Old Naval Hospital, a vibrant home for culture, education and city life on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC. The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, energetic, flexible and creative. Excellent oral and written communication skills are imperative. Starting salary $12/hour.
- Staffing the Reception Desk as needed on evenings and weekends
- Conducting walk-throughs/tours with vendors and potential clients and program partners
- Meeting with clients to finalize logistics for all aspects of their events
- Providing A/V support to special events and programmatic offerings
- Assisting with website updates and calendar listings
- Drafting floor plans for program offerings and special events
- Entering reservations into the computerized facilities calendar and space reservation system.
- Updating the inventory of equipment and supplies required for special events
- Coordinating Hill Center-sponsored special events
- Other duties deemed necessary by the Executive Director and Hill Center Team
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills suitable to creating and maintaining a positive impression of the Center as an ideal location for special events and program offerings
- Ability to oversee and coordinate events and program activities with limited supervision
- Ability to make independent, cost-effective judgment calls which ensure a positive experience for Hill Center patrons
- Must be proficient in use of Microsoft Excel, Word and Power Point
- Ability to stay focused in a fast paced environment
- A self-motivated, team player with organizational/logistics experience. Excellent organizational, administrative, and time management skills required. Must have strong written and verbal communication skills and dedicated to providing the highest quality experience for Hill Center patrons and guests.
Interested applicants should submit a résumé and cover letter explaining their interest in the position and detailing relevant qualifications and experience to jobs@HillCenterDC.org.
Non-Profit Office Suite and Long-Term Tenants
Hill Center’s third floor has been turned into 9 elegantly appointed small office spaces for non-profit organizations. Office space in the ADA-accessible building comes with reception services at the front entrance of the building; shared access to a staff kitchenette; a Conference Room furnished with a table and chairs that will accommodate 14+ individuals; and an informal seating or “huddle” space. Basic internet connectivity via Ethernet jacks and utilities are included in the monthly use fee that ranges from $850 to $1,200 per month, depending on office size. A state-of-the-art geothermal heating and cooling system allows each occupant to individually set their thermostat, and the windows in every office open.
Additionally, Hill Center rents space to organizations on a long-term basis for those who might need space during a remodel, due to displacement or other needs.
Celebrity Chef David Guas opened doors to his second Bayou Bakery, Coffee Bar & Eatery, on the grounds of Hill Center in 2015. Located in a historic carriage house sanctioned by President Lincoln, the space originally housed medic horses for the hospital during the Civil War. Guas restored it to showcase its original accents – from exposed brick to herringbone-laid stone grounds, wooden hay chutes and feeding troughs. Guests enjoy favorites such as Beignets, Biscuits, Muff-a- lottas, and nightly “Chew Dat” suppers reflecting the authentic flavors of Louisiana. The good times are a rollin’ morning, noon and night at this historic, funkified Nola-style eatery.