One of our small offices on the third floor of our ADA accessible building is…
3 Unique Marriage Proposal Ideas
Fall is finally here, and the temperature isn’t the only thing that’s changing.
According to the pros at WeddingWire, 40% of engagements occur between November and February. (In fact, nearly 20% of engagements happen on the same 10 days each year!) That’s not surprising considering that all the holidays in those four months give couples plenty of opportunities to include family and friends in the special moment.
Proposing during dinner at a fabulous restaurant or at home with family and friends are classic settings to pop the question. But if you’re looking to step outside the box, we’ve got three unique proposal ideas that’ll have your friends’ and families’ social media profiles buzzing with the news of your nuptials.
Cook Up a Unique Proposal
If food provides a special connection for you and your partner, proposing during a private cooking class is a unique way to ensure your engagement earns rave reviews. Plus, there and several ways to spice up the experience:
- Create a menu based on your favorite dishes, or learn to make traditional cuisine from regions around the world.
- Roll up your sleeves and prepare the meal from scratch, or let the chef do most of the dirty work while you and your partner sit back and enjoy a glass of wine.
- Create a personalized playlist to set the mood during the class, or hire a jazz trio to play some sweet tunes while you cook.
After you and your partner finish preparing and enjoying the meal, you’ll have the perfect opportunity to serve up your proposal!
Turn up the Heat
Have your instructor prepare enough food for 10-12 guests beforehand. After you and your partner finish cooking, head to another room where a dinner table is set with your closest family and friends waiting. Be sure to have plenty of tissues available because wine won’t be the only thing flowing that evening!
Craft the Perfect Proposal
If you and your partner don’t mind getting your hands dirty, channel your inner Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore by proposing during a pottery lesson. As you might expect, there’s a big focus on the way things feel when learning to throw clay. Your partner is sure to feel all sorts of emotions after you pop the question. Of course, there are a few ways to mold the experience to your liking:
- Cater the throwing lesson with your favorite finger foods like tacos, sliders or empanadas, or have a dinner table set on-site for quick access.
- Set the mood by lighting the space with candles and playing some of your favorite music.
- Reserve pottery wheels for your closest family and friends. The pieces they create can be incorporated into your engagement party, rehearsal dinner or wedding reception.
After you and your partner have finished molding the clay, you’ll be able to polish off the evening with your proposal!
Create Something Extra Special
Turn your clay creation into an actual piece of pottery by working with your instructor to have the piece fired. Carve the date of your engagement and your initials into the clay beforehand to create a special keepsake for years to come!
And the Award for Most Unique Proposal Goes to…
Proposing during a private movie screening or play is another unique way to make sure your partner is seeing stars on your engagement day. While renting out an entire theater may be a budget-buster for some, there are a couple ways to pull off this proposal without breaking the bank:
- Rent a projector and screen from a local A/V store and find a private space (e.g. in your home, at your office, at a local community center, etc.) where you can set it up to play your partner’s favorite movie or a classic romance film.
- Create a snack caddy filled with popcorn, soda (or wine!) and your and your partner’s favorite movie candy.
- Send personalized “movie tickets” to your family and friends as invites that can double as mementos after the proposal
After the movie ends, you can easily switch from an audience member to a starring role when you propose to your partner!
Earn an Honorable Mention
Create your own drive-in movie theater or outdoor film screening by setting up a projector and screen on a paved lot or in an open green space. Your academy of Facebook friends will love the special touch!
We’ve been lucky enough to be a part of a few surprise engagements at Hill Center over the year and can help turn our space into the perfect space to pop the question. Give me a ring at (202) 499-6449!
Special Events Coordinator